There are 158 owner complaints spread out over 9 years, but the most belong to the 2012.
This generation ranks 30th in reliability out of 38 overall Mazda generations.
This generation has been recalled 32 times. It's also part of 11 investigations and has 338 TSBs.
- engine water pump failed, leaked coolant into oil, caused engine failure in the 2008 CX-9 at 102246 miles
- brakes brake power boost unit failure in the 2012 CX-9 at 58605 miles
- brakes stiff, difficult braking in the 2010 CX-9 at 104000 miles
- engine head gasket failed in the 2013 CX-9 at 69500 miles
- wheels / hubs premature bearing wear in the 2007 CX-9 at 28000 miles
- cooling system water pump failure led to engine failure in the 2010 CX-9 at 80500 miles