There are 151 owner complaints spread out over 9 years, but the most belong to the 2012.
This generation ranks 30th in reliability out of 37 overall Mazda generations.
This generation has been recalled 32 times. It's also part of 11 investigations and has 338 TSBs.
- engine water pump failed, leaked coolant into oil, caused engine failure in the 2008 CX-9 at 102246 miles
- brakes brake power boost unit failure in the 2012 CX-9 at 58605 miles
- brakes stiff, difficult braking in the 2010 CX-9 at 106750 miles
- wheels / hubs premature bearing wear in the 2007 CX-9 at 28000 miles
- cooling system water pump failure led to engine failure in the 2010 CX-9 at 80500 miles
- lights hid system failure in the 2010 CX-9 at 115000 miles
CX-9 owners are worried about increased stopping distances with brake pedals that feel spongy (and unsafe) or really hard to push (and unsafe). I bet you’re sensing a theme here. NHTSA was looking at the issue but closed their investigation after Mazda extended their warran...
Mazda owners are experiencing warning lights, valve stem corrosions, and sudden tire blowouts that can all be traced to issues with the tire pressure monitoring system (TPMS). Law firms are currently gathering information about potential class-action lawsuits.